Sometimes life provides us with the unique and extraordinary ability to see society and the human experience with clarity. Sometimes it only provides us with frustration and chaos.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Lost Art

I skimmed through highschool on a talent of creativity. Somehow I was lucky enough to have a handful of teaches that enjoyed reading essays with more individual thought than rewritten theories. I hated homework, but was quick enough to absorb material basics for exams. When I think back to some of my work both in high school and college I wonder what my instructors thought. Here are some examples of successful creativity, that recieved praise and top marks, while still understanding the concept of the subject.

English 20 we were asked to do a poster deplicting the symbolism of peace. This assignment also asked for a written essay about how our poster protrayed peace.

Not one to work on homework, my project was left for the last moment. Upon entering my English class I quickly wrote my essay and attatched it to a blank sheet of paper.
When asked to present my work, I went to the front of the class with my blank peace of paper.
Of course the mouths dropped, but as I read the essay on the need for space and time without stimulating images of manipulation my instructor smiled. Peace, I summed up is not about provoking, leading, or creating. It is a moment of nothingness, empty time and space that allows for the emotional, social and intellegtual self to be uninterupted in such an overwelming world.
For my English teacher, this was creativity showing complete understanding of the task assigned and believe it or not she gave me an A.

Now to some this is laziness, or cheating. The reality is if you can outwit them unknowingly than maybe that is no more lazy than talented creativity. Later I'll tell you about the essay on the industrial revolution and my feedback from a right winged rigid social studies instructor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home